One good thing about being a highly sensitive person is that you have a lot of empathy for other people. You can relate to almost anyone because you can easily put yourself in their shoes and see the situation from their perspective. It’s a must have for actors and something that I wish more politicians and YouTube commenters possessed.
A lot of my friends are going through a really hard time right now. Two of my closest friends are dealing with heart-wrenching break-ups and another friend is at a memorial service for his father today. I feel their pain in the depths of my body and wish that I could make it go away for them. I know what that’s like and the only thing I can do is be a good listener and give the best advice that I can muster.
If you are in emotional pain right now the best thing that you can do is take care of yourself. Get out into the world and do things that make you happy. If you sit alone and you’re anything like me, you will get overwhelmed by the thoughts consuming your brain, so make sure you stay occupied. There is nothing worse than feeling the weight of sadness all day.
In times of anguish make sure you do any/all of these things:
1. Surround yourself with good, close friends.
2. Lay out in the sunshine (especially if you live in SoCal like me. Do this everyday.)
3. Drink adult beverages (moderately of course. You can’t numb the pain forever but you can quiet your brain for the night.)
4. Play with dogs. Especially puppies.
5. Get a mani/pedi. (Guys, you can get pedicures too! And you should.)
6. Get a massage.
7. Read outside in the park. Anything light and/or entertaining.
8. Purchase the most amazing latte and savor each sip.
9. Buy yourself flowers.
10. Hang out with a baby. (One that doesn’t have colic)
11. BBQ with some bro friends.
12. Do yoga, hike, dance, or whatever other physical activity you like.
13. Play music (if you can).
14. Get all done up and post the most amazing selfie on Instagram. (Make sure you are facing an open window to insure the best lighting results.)
15. Write. Blog. Diary. Just write.
16. Smile. (This instantly brightens the mood. When I’m sad and I want to cry, smiling always takes the urge away.)
17. Find a project to do on Pinterest for your apartment/house.
18. RETAIL. THERAPY.
19. Actual therapy.
20. Eat Ben and Jerry’s Ice cream. (If you are lactose intolerant like me, they have some bitchin coconut milk alternatives at health food stores.)
I was reading an article the other day and it said that whenever you are feeling sad or lonely just remember that there are at least 5 people that love you that you know about and probably another 2 or 3 that love you and you just don’t know it. But also remember that the only love you ever really need is self-love. It’s so important. And the only way to love yourself is to treat yourself kindly and with respect.
Focus on gratitude.
You will be okay.
If you’re still not convinced, here is a picture of a bunny in a backpack.